Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Western Wall

Here we are in the Old City of Jerusalem, going through the gates toward the Western Wall. Boys to the left. Girls to the right.


That's not the wall...we're still walking to it. It's not much farther.

Here we go. About 50 feet tall -- and another 50 feet buried underground -- it's made of massive carved stone blocks from King Herod's time, topped by masonry of later times, depending on who ruled the city when.

The wall is not actually part of the Temple, but rather a retaining wall. Since it was the only thing left standing after an attack by the Romans (damn Romans, I swear!) it has inspired the reverence (or woe more like it) of Jewish people for more than 2,000 years. Hence the name, "Wailing Wall".

My friend and kabbalah teacher Yehuda gave us an overview of the place and the energy to connect with...which has nothing to do with the Western Wall itself. We saw the Western Wall on the way to what's behind it. The holiest place on earth.


We walked through a tunnel to the very source of creation.

My friend Ale (short for Alejandra) reminded me that whenever you see balls of light in your picture, it's really a spirit or soul you've captured. I remember hearing that as a kid. And it really spooked me out after I saw the Omen with that beam of light going through the priest's neck, which turned out later to be an augury of his death by impaling from a lamppost or a fencepost, I forget. Anyway...it's spooky. But hold that thought and check out this picutre.

Are those soulballs? They are not in any of my other pictures and here we are, legend has it, at the origin of creation. The place of the binding of Isaac by Abraham.
And right here exactly, is the original rock of the temple...the rock of foundation.

I touched the wall and scrinched my eyes tight and made a very hard wish. I haven't told anyone what it was. But if you knew me, if you really knew me, then you already know.

No comments: