Saturday, March 01, 2008

Dr. Randy Pausch - from Oprah

My mom sent me this video. I usually don't bother reading or watching what she sends. Not because it's from my mom. But, knowing that it's from my mom, I expect it to be some schmarmy 'love jesus and thy neighbor and forward to everyone in your life that you love if you want 10 times more love in return' type stuff that moms and your more cheesy friends send around. (Apologies to my mom and all my other cheesy friends.)

Anyway, this isn't that. Since I had some time to kill at the Orlando airport yesterday, I pulled on my headphones and took a listen. It sure puts life in perspective when your days are limited. More than anything, and if you're anything like me, it'll make you ask that big question, "what is my life's purpose?" I already know mine. This lecture inspired me to want to live it -- harder.



First class checked in full, so I couldn't upgrade. I flew in the middle seat for the next 5+hours back to LAX, without a peep of complaint.

This morning on my way out for a run, first song on my iPod was Alanis Morrisette's, "Thank You" (lyrics below). I always loved this song. I really get it. But today, it reminded me how frequently I forget to be grateful. Worse even, how often I am asleep. [Sidebar: Me and David are signed up for a 10-week online lecture to hear Eckhart Tolle take us through, "A New World: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose." Class is free and starts tomorrow. You can still register, click here].

How about getting off of these antibiotics
How about stopping eating when I'm filled up
How about them transparent dangling carrots
How about that ever elusive kudo

Thank you India
Thank you terror
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty
Thank you consequence
Thank you thank you silence

How about me not blaming you for everything
How about me enjoying the moment for once
How about how good it feels to finally forgive you
How about grieving it all one at a time

Thank you India
Thank you terror
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty
Thank you consequence
Thank you thank you silence

The moment I let go of it was
The moment I got more than I could handle
The moment I jumped off of it was
The moment I touched down

How about no longer being masochistic
How about remembering your divinity
How about unabashedly bawling your eyes out
How about not equating death with stopping

Thank you India
Thank you providence
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you nothingness
Thank you clarity
Thank you thank you silence

yeah yeah
ahh ohhh
ahhh ho oh
ahhh ho ohhhhhh
yeaahhhh yeahh

THANK YOU MOM for this inspiration and your recent $50 donation to Raising Malawi! It means a lot to me personally that you are giving to a cause that I love so much. The gesture says everything. I love you too.

This last donation bumps our total raised so far to: $30,158.57

No comments: