Thursday, March 13, 2008

Make a Commitment to Give!

Last Fall I wrote a post on MyCommitment.org. It's such an awesome idea and great site designed to inspire people -- no matter what your circumstance -- that you, yes you, have something to give and can give it.

I was feeling a little stuck with my lack of fundraising ideas and success back then, but fortunately not stuck in my commitment. So, I posted my story. (see below). Cool thing is, the Clinton Foundation just contacted me for an interview!! There is a good chance that I will be included on their website as part of an effort to inspire more people to make commitments.

Pretty cool! Here's my original post from September. I'm going to send a blast email around now to see if I can stir up a little more momentum (uh, cash) so I have something more to say in my upcoming interview.

=MY POST=

Fundraising Malawi

In February, 2006 I asked myself a question. I asked, "What am I up to?" I'm doing well in my career. I've run a few marathons. I'm a good person. I'm there for my friends. But I didn't have a good answer to that question. So I found a worthy cause and made a commitment.

I am educating myself, and others as I go, on how to end extreme poverty. I'm wholly inspired by the possibility of it. The more I learn, the clearer I am that we can do this! We can crush poverty. I vow not to sit on the sidelines and wait for others to kick it into gear when *I* can make a difference right now.

I'm working with Raising Malawi, a thoughtful and committed charity that has managed to sidestep a great deal of bureaucracy and effectively direct its funds straight to the local CBOs that are demonstrated to work. Raising Malawi supports one of the Millennium Villages (Jeffrey Sachs), as well as other programs that will help break the cycle of poverty.

I have raised $30,000 thus far, and will not stop before I reach my goal of $101,000.

This is a new thing for me. I am blogging about my journey and appealing to others to join me or, if you can, point me in the right direction. (www.jsilka.blogspot.com). The road is long and lonely at times, but I know it ends happily.

I'm feeling a little stuck at the moment. I plan to buy ‘Giving’ for ideas and inspiration, as I greatly admire President Clinton's work. I don't pretend to know what I'm doing (especially in the area of fundraising), but as long as children's lives are at stake, my heart's in it 100 percent.

Once I reach my fundraising goal, I'll set a new and bigger goal till there's no longer any need. Who knows, I just might be the little butterfly who changes the order of things.

Hope to see you at the finish line.

jsilka.blogspot.com

No comments: