Friday, June 20, 2008

A note from the Hutchings Family


Actually, looks like Tom wrote this:

Hey dude - are you still doing that Malawi dealy? If so we kicked in $100USD, 8₤ and 9€ for you... didn't see where to plug in your name though. Hope that doesn't hose up your tally.

Best wishes,
Tom, Nancy, Haley & Nathan
(and of course, Rex!)

Ahhh...the Hutchings. Now these are some good people. I worked with Nancy at Arthur Andersen WHQ in the HR department in the late 80s. We were great friends (Tom too). In fact, I was Nancy and Tom's witness of honor on Fourth of July weekend back in the early 90s. Totally forget the year now. They got married on Navy Pier before the city put up the ferris wheel and all the fuss.

It was a hot, muggy, overcast day on the lake, but also perfect. They said their vows, we had a toast and then we all went on a little cruise. Both of their families killed them later for eloping. Despite that, they managed to have two beautiful children and a dog named Rex. I do believe their families have since forgiven their crime of passion.

Sometime later in that very same place, David F broke up with me on his birthday (July 22nd) after dating me five years. We were in front of that ferris wheel. He did it and then the fire works started going off. (Literally). As I stared into the night sky, my snow cone fell on my right foot and quickly melted through my sandal so my toes stuck together. Turns out he met someone. (His now wife). I gave him his house keys back that night and just like that, I was out of his life. What a prick. (I'm over it, really. ;)

Navy Pier.

Anyway, where was I? I think Tom's note means he donated $100 to Raising Malawi. I sent an email back to confirm.

Just confirmed.

Ohhhh.....It's more than $100US. (You have to know Tom). He writes:

Yeppars, that we did. the 8 is for a second donation - made in pounds sterling, and 9 is for the third one made in EUROS. I reckon it's just shy of an add'l $30USD...And no, I can't do anything simply! Isn't it fun to be one of the very few people who gets my sense of humor? [OK - pretends to get my sense of humor:)].

The three items were dated June 20th - I think the exact total was $129.68 in US/equiv.

Hope you are well! Nancy and the kids are great. We'll send recent pix soon!
--

Now how's that for gross, beautiful, well-calculated irony?!....I was BORN on 1/29/68! A VERY PERFECT DONATION!!

Which brings the new total of monies raised to date to $33,200.29.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

It's getting hot out there people. Mind your snow cones.

No comments: