Saturday, August 19, 2006

8/19/2006. Five years ago today, I boarded a one-way flight to New York with 2 carry-on bags and 2 checked-in boxes of shoes. I was leaving Chicago for good; heading for everything that scared me: career change, no friends, no home and a freakishly big city that I knew nothing about, other than it being freakishly big.

I was getting comfortable in Chicago. Kind of arrogant. Queen of my own mountain. I didn't like that about me. So I needed to really push myself to grow. Crack myself in half. I study archetypes as a passion, and I knew I needed to reawaken "The Wanderer."

I was going to work for Lowe Lintas -- my first ad agency. They moved me here. They set me up in corporate housing by Carneige Hall in Midtown/Central Park South.

I met this guy Eamonn (as in Aimin' to please Julia) that week in Times Square. He stepped on my flip flop as we were crossing at the light. He said, "Oh gosh, I'm sorry", in a heavy Irish accent. You don't hear that accent much in Chicago. He was a cross between Paul McCartney, George Harrison and George Clooney. We talked for one minute before he told me he was going to -- where else? -- a bar. Would I join him for a drink? I wanted nothing intimate. Nothing serious. Only fun. We dated the next three years.

My second week here, he took me to see the World Trade Center. I remember looking up at the twin towers with him in awe. We talked about them like the invincible Titanic they were. We actually had a conversation about the '93 terrorist bombing at the WTC being such a ridiculous effort. I stood in shock two weeks later watching the towers burning from my office window.

I have a lot of stories about what followed, but the reason I'm sharing this much on my blog is because Eamonn (whom I have cut all contact with for many reasons) has contacted me to say he has some money that he owes me that he would like to return.

If that's true, I will take the money back. Not sure how much of it he has or plans to return. But whatever it is, I will donate it to "Raising Malawi" because I feel the money is no longer mine -- or his.

I have already written it off as a bad loan. And he never earned it, which on a spiritual level causes "bread of shame", a source of guilt that will hold you back now or later.

I think the reason he would find me now to return it is because I'm putting out this energy around my cause and he picked up on it. I believe that happens on spiritual level. On an ego level, I am cautious that this is just another ploy by a master manipulator to get me to return his calls.

Either way, it's a good sign if money is coming.

No comments: