Thursday, August 24, 2006

Pluto got demoted to "dwarf planet" today. I think the more PC term is "little planet", but science can be harsh. Basically, by current planetary standards, there are at least 50 additional qualifying planets floating around up there. So rather than creating solar confusion, astronomists figured it best to tighten up the standards.

My friend Jon explained it to me. I met Jon on a plane six years ago. He works at MIT, Lincoln Labs doing all sorts of cool, geeky, patent-worthy stuff. I was sitting in his window seat as the plane was about to take off. He comes rushing onboard all disheveled and urgent-looking just barely making the flight. His whole being makes me think of him as the Harrison Ford of science. So, I asked him what to make of this Pluto thing.

He told me, BBC covered it pretty well (that's where I got these images)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5282440.stm

But I understand his explanation better. He told me, "there had been an attempt to come up with an "objective" definition of a planet; something we could use in other solar systems as well.

First cut at it was something that orbited the sun (rather than another planet e.g., the Moon) and was big enough that gravity made it round. This caused an uproar as immediately there were 12 planets under this definition with likely hundreds more.

So, then they tried, 'a planet is an object orbiting the sun that can clear its orbital belt of other objects'. Pluto fails this test as it crosses Uranus's orbit and some day Uranus will clear Pluto out of its orbit...

So that leaves 8 planets, with tiny Pluto relegated to a "dwarf planet" ... because it is considerably smaller than the moon."

I took a Kabbalah astrology class a while ago. So you know, every sign has a ruling planet and energy. I'm Aquarius, so even though I'm a rebel, I'm ruled by Saturn, which means I can come off as a goodie two-shoes. I'll briefly lay out the signs and their ruling planets so you can follow along:

Aquarius and Capricorn are ruled by Saturn. Saturn is about limits. Structure. Boundaries. A+B=C. I draw my discipline from Saturn's energy.

Pisces and Sagittarius are ruled by Jupiter. Jupiter is the biggest planet. It's about expansion. Generocity. Miracles. Success.

Aries and Scorpio are ruled by Mars. This is my man David, Cephora my best bud, and my mom. Mars is about war. It's how you fight. It's how you work. It's how you attack. These people are all crazy. ;)

Leo is ruled by the sun. My friend Bob is a Leo, although he doesn't really act like it, which is weird, because the Sun is who you are. It controls your basic structure. Everything hangs off it.

Libra and Taurus are ruled by Venus. Venus is about what you love. What you find exciting and beautiful. It's the only planet that goes clockwise.

Virgo and Gemini are ruled by Mercury. Mercury is the closet to the sun. It's about speed. Communication. Intellect. Time. Mental speed. Hold that thought a minute, because we just entered the new moon of Virgo, which dictates the kind of energy available for all of us to draw on this month.

Cancer is ruled by the Moon. The moon is your inner self. It's your deepest emotions. It represents your previous lives. It's your hidden personality. My moon is also in Aquarius (so I'm an Aquarian thru and thru), but my rising sign is Cancer, which tells you the kind of soul I am. Like my soul's aura.

If you know exactly when you were born, go to www.ephemeris.com and look up your "sun sign" (that's your sign), your "moon" (that's the hidden you; your essence) and your rising sign, (that's the planet that was on the horizon at the moment your soul came into the world.)

I can say a lot more about Astrology, because I love that stuff, but I want to take a minute to talk about Virgo and what's available to us this month. Specifically, what I'm doing during Virgo to help "Raise Malawi".

This month is about preparations for the Light. I'll say that in English, “as you sow, so shall you reap.” Is there something you want? Something you really desire? You can have it. But you need to do all the work this month to create the vessel to receive whatever your heart desires.

You got something to clean up with someone? Do it. Clean it up! Clean it out. Create more space; a bigger vessel to receive. Make amends. Mom, let's go get coffee! I want a big fat millon-gallon vessel for children in Malawi. What do I have to do for that?! I'm willing. I swear. This month is the last male-energy month till next April. Crank it out! You begin to reap your creation next month...or get a lot closer to it. If you are going after something big, and why wouldn't you, it won't be easy. Do the work!

OK.

So, I say that because my desire for funds for Raising Malawi has been strong, but passive. I'm going to give it one last hoorah this month. I am going to meet with anyone and everyone who will have the conversation with me to stir the pot of ideas for how we can work together for this amazing cause.

By Christmas, together, we will have raised $25K for kids in Malawi. There is no possibility for this not to happen.

No comments: