Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Cape Town Sunday Times, Business Times, March 19, 1995

Hey Donna! I love that you check in on my blog and leave comments! The blogosphere is so lonely at times. So, I dedicate this entry to you :)

Donna was one of my roommates in grad school at Northwestern. That's her pictured on the far right. There's me, third in from the left. We went to South Africa together in 1995 for one of our elective courses with Kellogg, "Global Initiatives in Management". Part of our coursework -- since we were with Medill, Integrated Marketing Communications -- was to get some PR for the NU South Africa initiative.

So we wrote a press release and made some calls when we were in-country. Naturally, we worked it so that only a handful of the Kellogg students would know when the media folks were coming. This way, Donna and I could get in all the pictures. Ha! It actually wasn't quite so calculated, but luck seemed to follow us around. Oop! Here we are again! ;)


This was my first and last trip to Africa. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. I remember watching a whale out in the distance in Cape Town, where the Atlantic meets the Pacific. Donna took this picture of me there --



Yesterday, Oprah aired her visit to South Africa which she themed, "Christmas Kindness." Terrible name, but good show. I think it was filmed in 2005. She says that going to South Africa -- visiting orphans and passing out gifts to the kids -- was the best day of her life. All the girls got little Black babydolls. All the boys got soccer balls. And then some other stuff.

At one point during one of the parties, Oprah was crying uncontrollably...actually gasping. It was because it gave her so much joy to provide for these truly needy, truly grateful children. She said she actually had a joy headache.

Still, I know there is latent sadness under all the joy. Because a doll and/or a soccer ball could never be enough. These children are orphaned, fending for themselves. Going without food and clothes. Two little girls came home to find drunk men in their beds. I can think of no worse hell. Actually, I've lived that scenario myself. Er... a lot. So, as an expert I can say that it's disgusting and offensive. How can you feel safe? At least I'm an adult. I can generally fend for myself.

I have some great pictures of the kids we met in Soweto (south west township....very poor area) in 1995....but I must've put them in storage. I'll upload a few shots when I get them back.

Anyway, once you've been there, once you've seen for yourself all the majesty juxtiposed with so much struggle...you can't help be be affected. And me? I can't unsee and unknow...although I forgot for a long long time. I guess there's no real way any of us can be free if we avoid responsibility for the basic human dignity of our fellow man. We're really all one soul. It's so easy to forget or ignore or avoid that. But I really believe it. We have a moral obligation to each other at the level of human dignity. Beyond that I think it's optional.

So, I'm calling down a miracle this year. I request/create/desire that this be a BIG BIG year for me. May I seriously expand my wealth so that I can really make a difference for the forgotten children of the world.

Hold tight, Sir Bono. I'm right behind you, baby!

2 comments:

Belladonna622 said...

Woo! Hoo! This is the first time anyone has ever dedicate a blog entry to me. Thanks! :-)

Your enty brought back lots of memories, including a certain tenacious imc'er (a.k.a., you) kicking ass and taking names in getting media interest and coverage during the visit, and then having to drag some of our Kellogg friends kicking and screaming to take advantage of it.

I also remember several lighter moments including that day on Table Mountain, the winery in Paarl and the incredible view from our room in Cape Town (even though it meant we had the drama of additional roommates).

My absolute FAVORITE memory, though, is one night after dinner (and probably a lot of wine). As we got off the bus, the guy I'd been pining over the entire trip gave me a beautiful flower (wouldn't that have been the perfect moment to propose?? :-).

But instead he said something like " I hope you don't think this means anything."

I took the flower and, after an award-winning rolling of the eyes, threw it on the ground in disgust.

You picked it up, put it in your hair and said something like "not the flower's fault he's a jerk." Then wore the flower with pride the rest of the night.

Hmmm...putting that story into words doesn't convey the moment, but I'm sure you remember :-)

Thanks for the jaunt down memory lane.

db

Unknown said...

LOL! That's right! It wasn't the flower's fault ;) And it's so you to toss it to the asphalt in disguist. Weren't we just getting off a bus or something? Jerk better get some wheels if he thinks he could win a heart as big as yours! :)

He was a looker though. Wonder whatever happened to him?