Thursday, December 28, 2006

Midas, Money and Misty: How I Raised $101K in 2007

This is going to be a really big year for me, I know it. And I need it to be to hit my $101,000 goal for Malawi.

So, what is the plan?

Well, Chanukah is over now. I've done the spiritual work. My head is in a good place, and when it slips out of that place I know how to reconnect it pretty quickly. Now, I'm ready to play the game.

While driving in Toronto with David and his son Tyler on his way to his dad's (who is really very Scottish! He's Mike Meyers' father in "So, I Married an Ax Murderer" -- very lovable!) we talked about an idea I have for a new business. David is always telling me I should do something online. I've always thought so too. The concept is "The Perfect Gift".com -- a place to get ideas and gifts for those occasions when you don't really know what to give and/or really want to make it special. More on that later. This is my money blog entry.

So, the seed of my business idea is to earmark at least 10% of my 2007 profits to Raising Malawi. That means I need to make about a million dollars -- $750K to be exact since we're not starting at zero. So that's what I'll do.

I've studied archetypes for years. I am very lucky that one of my archetypes happens to be Midas. I've had it since I was 14. Exactly like Midas, I have a special touch when it comes to manifesting money. Note: the shadow side of Midas is Miser. It's a real duality. My friends give me grief when I am late to meet them because I took the bus versus a cab. I often forget that I have money. Like David always tells me, you can take the girl out of Chicago, but you can't take the Little Matchstick out of the Girl. ;)

Anyway, when I was 14, my dog Misty got Leukemia. The picture above is of me and my brother David with Misty, an Airedale Terrier. We dressed her up in our night clothes this particular night when it was bedtime. We loved her. We got her when I was four years old. She was part of our family.

Out of nowhere, Misty started moving slow. She was dragging her tail on walks and otherwise behaving like a lazy dog. My parents took her to the vet and told me that Misty was going to die. She needed her spleen removed, but we didn't have the money for the surgery. I decided in that moment that not only would Misty have her surgery, I would always have money. I decided right then and there that I would be the clearing for money to show up when I needed it. And then I'd work my tail off to get it: shoveling driveways, babysitting, second jobs bussing tables or making milk shakes. Nothing has ever been handed to me. I've always busted my butt, which is why I have no guilt and am very free around money. And now money comes freely to me. And yes, Misty had her operation and lived a while longer. Long enough for me to painfully accept that it was indeed her time to go.

Since then, I've always found money when I needed it. I found money for college -- mine and a chunk for my ex-husband. A huge wedding. Three properties. Cars. Grad school. International vacations. Whatever my heart desired.

I share this not to brag. But to provide something. Money -- when it moves to, through and from you -- is just energy. Be miserly with it, and you won't have a lot of it. Share it or let a lot of it move through you for the right reasons -- to grow your vessel and become a being of sharing -- well, you get bigger and the Light says, woah! There's a lot of money moving through that person and she's bringing more Light into the world! I better keep her stocked.

At the same time, people can be very stupid with their money. They're gamblers and dreamers. Money doesn't come (or doesn't stay with you) when you are blocked around money. Like when you operate from a context of scarity or worse, money for nothing. "It'll just rain from the sky and fall in my lap forever." Well, good luck with that!

I know I'm sounding preachy, but it's because I have something to say on this topic. Actually, I have a LOT more to say on this topic, but I'll hold off till next year when I can make my point better through a successful business.

If you're interested, this is a good clip about the wisdom of kabbalah and the point of my studies. It's not about money, per se. But it is. It's about context. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

And I hope you'll join me in a money conversation in your own life. I'm not referring to Raising Malawi. That's not for everyone. But, there is something in your life I'm sure that you'd like to have money for. If that's the case, I invite you to play a big money game this year. Come on......snake eyes!

No comments: