Thursday, November 16, 2006

This is Michael Berg, who is co-creator of the Raising Malawi project. I adore him. He's the one I spoke with two weeks ago when Madonna was in town. He's pictured here with the Dalai Lama, whom I've loved and respected since I was little. Years ago, I saw an interview with him on 60 minutes when he was in exile after China annexed Tibet. He is so wise and adorable. I read some of his books. They're great -- so authentic! One of my all time favorite books is "Seven Years in Tibet." It's by Heinrick Harrer, but stars our boy the Dalai Lama when he was growing up. I couldn't make it thru the Brad Pitt movie of the same name -- too slow. Or maybe I was too tired. I should try again. But the book is awesome!

I went to the Beacon Theater a few years ago to hear the Dalai Lama speak. He walked in the room and the room shifted. His energy was positively palpable. Buddhist wisdom is very much about everything/nothing reality. It felt a lot like Landmark! at least as much as I understood it. Richard Gere was up there on the stage next to him.

I also bumped into one of the creative directors I was working with on the Dairy Queen account at the time. We were both sort of shocked to see each other, but agreed that it was better there than in a strip club or something.

Anyway, in his newletter, Michael Berg writes:

"Recently in New York I had the privilege to attend an intimate gathering held in honor of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. The burning question in my mind was, “What is the primary spiritual goal that Buddhists have and how is it similar to Kabbalah?”

At some point, I began talking to Professor Robert Thurman, a leading Buddhist scholar and author. He is a very straightforward man, and he told me there is only one thing a true Buddhist knows:

Our purpose in this world is to remove our ego – our selfish desire – and to transform it into a desire to serve others.

I shared with him that this is precisely what Kabbalah teaches -- transforming the Desire To Receive for the Self Alone into the Desire To Receive in Order To Share.

Our singular purpose is the same. We also spoke about the challenge of teaching this concept in a way that not only resonates with people but also adheres to their lifestyle.

Professor Thurman shared something that the Dalai Lama had once said to him:

“Most of the Buddhists I know have failed in their work.”

This struck a chord within me for it is something my father and teacher Rav Berg has been telling me my entire life. Everything we do of a spiritual nature must be motivated by the intention of transforming our ego. As long as this focus is not clear, we have also, to a certain degree, failed.

Personally, this is a teaching I struggle with every day of my life. The battle to transform my own ego-centric nature is one I wake up to every morning, and it requires constant vigilance."

--
I see it. I'm covered in it.

While I'm better in dealing with my ego nature compared to say the likes of my boyfriend David Duncan -- we decided to get back together btw, despite his gi-normous ego -- am I really better?

Well....the answer to that is yes. Yes I am better.

I'm joking.

I guess.

I got invited to a cool black tie event last night for the Ad Council awards. I sat with some of the senior management folks at Ogilvy--Carla H., Bill G. and others. It was so eye opening for me. These are not only real people, they are really good people. I truly like and respect them. Carla reminded me of my best friend Laurie in Chicago.

She talked about Ogilvy like a family. She comes from a family of 14! Honestly, it's so much what I want (a family) that I'm terrified of it. I rebel against it. I wonder if I put my fists down for one second if I'd actually let it sink in that I'm at a really cool place?

I dunno. If I can find a reason to hang out with the Carlas and Bills and Andys more, well yes. But.....I'm not hanging out with them now. And I'm frustrated. And, I have a big fat ego that I don't know what to do with. Carla didn't seem to really have one. And it was nice. Her presence was nice. She inspired me; if that's what leadership looks like, I'm game.

No comments: