Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!

I'm back from Malawi a changed woman. I have so much to share, I don't know where to start. I am intellectually, socially, emotionally and geographically expanded. This was the best trip of my life, which included several of the best days of my life.

It's 2:26 am. I can't sleep cuz of jet lag and a TV blaring bad dance music from the unit above me. It's 2:30 now. No change. Hey!!! 2:33! They turned it off! FINALLY! And I lie here awake with my thoughts.

Good news off the AP wire. Ben & Jerry's named a new ice cream: "Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream." It's vanilla ice cream with fudge-covered waffle cone pieces and caramel.

The Vermont-based ice-cream maker is known for naming its flavors after people such as Jerry Garcia, Wavy Gravy and the band Phish — which Colbert sees as a political bias.

"I'm not afraid to say it. Dessert has a well-known liberal agenda," Colbert said in a statement. "What I hope to do with this ice cream is bring some balance back to the freezer case."

Colbert, who spoofs flag-waving conservative pundits on his Comedy Central show, "The Colbert Report," is donating his proceeds to charity through the new Stephen Colbert Americone Dream Fund, which will distribute the money to various causes.

And there you have it. I never did follow through on my Ben & Jerry's idea for Raising Malawi. I need to do that. I need to research where Colbert is directing the money and how much Americone Dream is generating. I'll bet it's a big hit. I would eat him.

No comments: