Thursday, September 25, 2008

Just need one! Please help.

When my nephew Matt was four, he wanted a Coke out of the vending machine. My sister-in-law only had a quarter and gave it to him, but told him that wasn't enough for a pop. So he turned to me and asked if I had money.

While fishing out my wallet and noticing a sign on the vending machine that read $1.25, I say, "sure honey, how much do you need?"

Matt says, "one".

I'm opening my wallet now. I ask, "one what?" thinking: dollar? quarter? where are we at here?

He cocks his head, squints one eye and looks up at me all confused. What about "one" did I not understand? He replies, "Aunt Julia, one money."

So, I gave it to him and he got his Coke.

He is turning 8 tomorrow and I noticed he has a filling. One possible moral of the story is don't let kids drink pop. But the moral I'm going for is a bit deeper. It's all about desire and how life occurs when we take off the restraints to realizing that desire. What if raising $101K is hard because I decided it would be hard? I mean, I'm glad I have to put some effort into it, because otherwise it would be a pretty boring project. I just wonder what doors, locks and chains I have made a big part of my story, because, well, "that's just how the story goes".

Over the past couple days, my friends (and their friends) are reminding me through their generous donations and help spreading the word about my little campaign that my goal is not only possible, a bigger dream will come to fruition. We're going to make the world a better place for everyone.

How AWESOME it was to get donations from two fabulous New York women on Thursday. Renee Rotkopft sent me the greatest note, actually thanking me for including her in this fundraising project. :) And my friend Sharon (who has a heart of gold!) reached way deep for a big donation, which is great always, but especially now because it will be doubled!

Thanks to my donors so far - whose donation will be matched!

1. Miranda Soffian - $100
2. David Duncan - $101
3. Donna Bellamy - $125
4. Alisa Starke - $150
5. Lee Ann Sierecki - $100
6. Donna Weiss - $10
7. Leah Reynolds - $100
8. Renee Rotkopf - $100
9. Sharon McNulty - $250
10. Jonathan Avigdori -$100
11. Lourdes Mestre - $101


ADDITIONAL DONATIONS TO DATE: $551

TOTAL TO BE MATCHED ON 10/1: $1,237

40 HAND-MADE CANVAS BAGS FROM MALAWI LEFT!
YOUR GIFT FOR A DONATION OF $101 OR MORE.

No comments: