Sunday, September 28, 2008

Stranger in a Strange Band

I met Jason Singer at The Elbo Room in Chicago. He was playing just down the street from where I lived in Bucktown/Wicker Park.

I came out to hear this band, The Nubile Thangs. I hadn't heard them before and they just totally rocked the house. Jason, the sax player, is the hugest-heartest, funnest and grooviest and too-cool-for-school kinda guy. When they were were done tearing the roof off the place, Jason came out and worked the crowd. I bought a CD and we stayed friends ever since - although we NEVER see each other. Jason moved to NY when I moved there and came out to play at my 34th bday at Turtle Bay on 2nd Ave. I have it on tape! Now we both live in LA. And this weekend, my good buddy pulled through with a $50 donation to Raising Malawi. Thank you, Jason! We gotta get together. I'm in Playa del Rey. You still near the Grove? It's really not that far. What do you say? You, me and Woody Allen - for old times sake.

Also thanks to my dear friend Steve Centrillo, who donated $101 today (he really wanted that canvas bag, I'm sure). Steve is also a rockstar - or more like a Grokstar, I should say. I just worked up some personas to help with website development for a new online platform for TakePart.com. It's for socially concerned/socially active citizens to work the issues and forward positive social change in the world. Very cool client/concept. Site will be in beta soon. Stay tuned.

Anyway, as we were doing our research with consumers, this ultra-savvy, ultra-committed profile started to emerge. My client mentioned it's Grok-like. Where the observer is so one with the issue they almost assume the persona of the observed. The grok concept comes from Stranger in a Strange Land. I didn't read it, but Steve gave me the book a year or so ago. At heart, we're both 9 year old boys with frogs and marbles in our pockets. As I worked up the profiles for this website, I called one segment, "Grok Stars," and will forever think of Steve - a Grok of loyalty, friendship and principle.

I met Steve when he was running darkGrey, the tech village at Grey, back when Grey had the village system. He left there to head up FCB NY, but left shortly after they merged with Draft. After that, he started Common Ground Partners . He's the Italian guy in front, with his business partner Dave.


Thanks to all my donors so far - whose donation will be matched!

1. Miranda Soffian - $100
2. David Duncan - $101
3. Donna Bellamy - $125
4. Alisa Starke - $150
5. Lee Ann Sierecki - $100
6. Donna Weiss - $10
7. Leah Reynolds - $100
8. Renee Rotkopf - $100
9. Sharon McNulty - $250
10. Jonathan Avigdori -$100
11. Lourdes Mestre - $101
12. Jason Singer - $50
13. Steve Centrillo - $101


ADDITIONAL DONATIONS TO DATE: $151

TOTAL TO BE MATCHED ON 10/1: $1,388

39 HAND-MADE CANVAS BAGS FROM MALAWI LEFT!
YOUR GIFT FOR A DONATION OF $101 OR MORE.

No comments: