Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I'm just back from Japan, the last stop on my Asia Pacific travels. I didn't have too much time or energy to site see, but I did see a little.

Tokyo is cool. It's a blending of ancient and new, like this little area squared off among the office buildings.

At first I thought it was a restaurant, but everyone was going up to ring a bell. See all those ropes? When it's your turn, you grab a rope, pull on it to ring a bell, clap twice, and lower your head in a short prayer or wish.

It's my sort of thing. But I didn't do it. I was a little afraid I would do it wrong and piss someone off, conjure a ghost or otherwise wreak havoc on the locals.

Japan strikes me as very serious. Very efficient. Every fifth person you see is wearing a mask, as if they're about to spray paint with a powered aerosol blaster. It's weird. I imagine your nose and mouth sweats. I remember people doing it 10 years ago when I last visited. I guess they are afraid of germs. I don't understand why you would want to live somewhere where you thought you were being poisoned or polluted by going out of your house. I can't imagine they wear those masks in their own houses. Maybe they do. How can you possibly clean all the germs?

Look at this lineup of hot wheels! Lots of people ride bikes.

Oh, and they have these great new toilets in Japan. They're electric with all these buttons on the side: Button 1) Spray this part (visual of a butt). Button 2) Spray that part (visual of, uh, I'm not sure maybe it was the side of a butt.) And there were more buttons. I didn't push any of them. I really am adventurous...but not so much down there on a public toilet. Although, I was pleasantly surprised to sit on one (I lined it, of course) and discover it was heated! I rested on there for an extra minute. Quite relaxing for my jet lagged ass.

Not much else to report in the way of Raising Malawi. I shared a little about the project with my client, we'll call him Ron, and Dan who was traveling from the research company. Ron was so inspired he opened his wallet and slapped down a cool 2o CNY (China Yuan Renminbi). I was excited, happy for the gesture. Dan was pretty quick to point out that it was worth about two and half bucks. Actually, it's $2.57. Alas, enough to treat one child and prevent his or her death from malaria.

I'll add it to the total as soon as I donate it. I think I might kick in a little more to give it a push. Of course, I'm not blown away by the amount, but I remember a kabbalistic lecture from about a year ago. It was about a man who needed money who stepped over a nickel in the street. Why would you do that?! Money is money. It's a sign! It just reminds you that money is there and is abundant. Who am I to turn away money?

And I honestly wasn't working the table for money. I was just sharing about this project and inspired someone to open his wallet and look inside. That's a big deal. And a good sign. So, I will donate this 20 CNY on behalf of my client and let it be a key to the flood gates. A key costs about $2.57. This could be exactly what we needed.

I am planning a trip to Malawi for my birthday -- which is 1/29, in case you celebrate or light commemorative candles or anything. I leave 1/30 and am gone till 2/12.

I don't know what to expect. I like that. And in my heart, it feels right.

No comments: