Saturday, October 28, 2006

Lucy in the Sky A year ago, I had no interest in the issue of global poverty. None. It was not on my radar. And that doesn't make me a bad person. Now it is on my radar. And I'm doing something about it. But that doesn't make me a good person, either.

I did my homework. Now, I'm a changed person.

What changed? Three things:

1. I'm informed and inspired with the knowing that we can actually end extreme poverty in our lifetime. What a concept! My game is to help end it in a village in Malawi within 5 years. It's an awesome, exciting possibility.

2. I'm bigger. A year ago on my birthday video (1/29/06) I declared that I would raise $2,000 for charity. I thought that was a lot of money for charity. I usually just donate clothes and old appliances. But I knew I could do it. In which case, is it really a goal worthy of a birthday video?

So, a couple weeks later (Valentine's Day) I created a bigger game -- one that I knew would stretch me as a leader and a person. That was to raise $25K by this Christmas. And that happened.

But you know when you're really about to pop? That feeling of all this pressure inside you that, like it or not, pushes you to your next higher potential? That's still in me. Which tells me that my big breakthrough is still to come. That takes me to my third point.

3. I've been holding back, and I can finally see it. I'll rock the boat, but I'm careful not to upset the ship. And lots of times it's painfully clear that the ship i'm on is sailing fullspeed to nowhere. I need to step it up and take the helm on my dreams. In all the playing nice I do in my life, I actually lost sight of my own energy. I'm an entrepreneur at heart. I'm a warrior and a free spirit.

It's time to fall off the wall and go all the way down the rabbit hole.

I found this clip of me and David from earlier this year. I call it, Lucy in the Skyrise with Diamonds. David and I decided to break up. No fight. No fallout. We just want to live our lives differently. I love him, and I think he loves me. Which is why this is tough. But it has to be. Because for either of us to live a compromised life, we may as well be dead. Here's to dancing your truth and dancing it harder . . .

No comments: