Friday, October 27, 2006

Madonna and her children. I love this picture.

Madonna is funding a documentary about Malawian orphans, which is where she said she first spotted baby David.

She was on Oprah this week. In the interview she said, "I became transfixed by him. But I didn't yet know I was going to adopt him. I was just drawn to him."

David is a typical Malawian baby. He's one year old and has already survived malaria and tuberculosis. His two siblings didn't make it past their second birthdays. His dad is a widower. His mom died a week after David was born. All typical Malawi.

But now David actually has a chance. He had severe pneumonia when Madonna met him, but she got permission to take him to a clinic to get antibiotics.

"I was in a state of panic, because I didn't want to leave him in the orphanage because I knew they didn't have medication to take care of him," Madonna said.

She said she witnessed conditions in Malawi that were the equivalent of a "state of emergency".

"I think if everybody went there, they'd want to bring one of those children home with them and give them a better life."

Maybe. Or we can just cause a better life for the people over there.

I can barely imagine how hard it must be for David's dad. He said one thing in a CNN interview the other night that had me lose it. He said it to the camera and he said it to Madonna. He said, "my David will make a good son."

These words just ripped thru me. He would love to raise his son. He lost his entire family to entirely preventable ailments. His beloved died after childbirth. Two of his babies couldn't get medical care. He is a simple man. But he cannot afford to raise his son. I felt so much love for him in that interview because I can only imagine how painful this decision must be for him.

Do you know the story of King Solomon and the two women fighting over a baby? They couldn't agree which of them was the rightful mother, so King Solomon ordered that the baby be split in half, so each could have ownership.

One woman agreed. The other protested, "No! You take him! He is yours!"

Which was the rightful mother?

Right. King Solomon deemed the mother who was willing to part with the child rather than see it die must be the real mother, so the baby was rightfully hers. She could take him and go.

David's dad loves David enough to give him up and give him a future. By this gesture, David will be a good son to him as well, I am certain.

It really all just saddens me to the core. And still, it's beautiful.

No comments: